Monday, September 10, 2007

My dad's birthday

Happy birthday, Maestro.
Today you would have been 76,
still young in these days.

It's been so long
since that day at the pier
you saw me off
to the land of my birth,
when you left
as soon as I boarded
the ship to today.

I turned around
so you wouldn't see the sadness
you turned away
so I wouldn't see yours.

We knew it was time
for a new destination
what we didn't know
was that we'd never see each other
in this life at least.

Today, your birthday
I'll smoke a drink in your name,
to your memory,
to your life,
to the greatness
of your love,
evincing the depth of your absence
the pain of your being here no more.

Bittersweet memories
of the time we spent together
working side by side
a beer, a rest
at your house of dreams
in the magical island
of San Andres

Of painting
and hugging
and kisses
on the forehead and cheek
of talks
and walks
and teaching me to ride the cycle.

your stories
on nights
I was scared of the lightning.
I loved you so much
yet I didn't know how then
how important
you'd been to my life
how much I love you
how much I miss you.

You are loved by many
missed by many more.
You touched so many lives
my only hope
to do as well.

Salud, Maestro.
The tears are all the feelings.
Happy birthday,
happy birthday
to YOU.
Thank you
for being here.
Walk in beauty.

Robby






Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger RevrendZ said...

Moving. Excellent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home