Thursday, July 07, 2005


My home
(c) Roberto Isaza

I can almost feel
the grains of sand
rub against, between
my toes.

I can almost smell
the brackish tang
of Caribbean
waft in the breeze.

I could almost abandon myself
in the enveloping, liquid embrace
of the warm sea.

I would have never
wanted to leave,
I knew I’d found my place
among existence
where I could belong.

Where I could be one
with the ocean,
where I could commune
with the breeze,
where my thoughts
were those of nature,
where my hopes
were more than a sneeze.

I would have never left
but I did.
To a place that is all
but nature.
Where the haves
and have nots compete,
to sustain the rock
that is not so.

Where most people
are neighbors
only because they live
right next door.
Not really interested
in what goes on the floor.
Only if you are in their circle
will their interest in you proclaim,
otherwise you are nobody
interesting only in your use.

I left my dad
never to see him again...
I lost a lot
but also gained a lot.

If I hadn’t left
I wouldn’t have found
the soul I searched for,
so the leaving was good
yet the calling so strong
now I yearn for more.
More of the island
now that I found
who to share it with.

More of the moonlit-night-walks
more of the lull of the surf,
more of this feeling of belonging
with someone to belong.
More of Sundays at
Playa de San Luis,
buying typical food,
from my aunts and gran’mas
along the way.

Give me the rush
of turquoise waters
of seven colors,
let me swim
to Johnny Cay,
let me lie naked
in the waters
of the Aquario,
and climb into the old ship
in rocky cay.
I want to ride my bike
through the moonless nights
and watch the stars
feeling I might fall off,
a shooting one
caught my eye,
and wished
for you to come.

I’ve got Island water
flowing through my veins
got the sun in my heart
and the people I love
got the wind in my soul
and a song to sing
I’ve got
a Caribbean love.

© Roberto Isaza
July 7, 2005

3 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Preston said...

So beautiful!

I love the islands! I've got 16 acres leased in Tonga for "retirement"; it's been a while since I have been down there, but I still can vividly feel the water, the sand, the solitude....

Hawaii for my wedding was fantastic, but not like quiet Vava'u.

Very different from the island you now inhabit. Having grown up in NYC, it's still hard for me to shake the memories of the asphalt, the steel, the noise and confusion....

I do not envy those stranded on the concrete atoll.

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Rob said...

WoW, Henry. I envy you that way of linking your responses to places. Great pics of your engagement and wedding. I know this is ... way belated, but congratulations and may your love spring eternal. You look terrific together, you seem made for each other. Tonga for retirement, wow! I love islands with warm climate and breezy coolants. I'd drop the memories of asphalt and concrete at the drop of a hat. When I do retire, I'll move to a place like that where the most asphalt be in the road circling the island and the pillars are coconut trees. I could stay away from the city forever and never miss it... yet there are those I love, and would have to have 'em at least on vacation every now and then... this is cool and what makes blogger so enticing ... it's people like you, Elvira, and some others. WoW.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Preston said...

The hyperlinking? 'Taint no big thing.... If you email me, I can explain all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home